Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Sotto Voce

So … here I am, a mere four weeks away from a nearly 3 octave range while performing in Dogpark: The Musical, and I have come a long way since then. I say that mainly because at the moment I am on permanent vocal rest after a virus came in right after I got done. Within two weeks I had no voice at all. So now, per doctor’s (and my own) orders, I am on vocal rest for a week.

So … I have taken the down time to revamp my website and bring it up to speed. Which means no more flashy flash graphics, at least for the moment. I’m making the web-hosting I have been paying for actually WORTH something. Hopefully.

In the meantime, while I am updating the website, I have also been research laryngitis.

Here are a few treatment tips from the Mayo Clinic Website:

You can manage most acute cases of laryngitis with self-care steps, such as resting your voice, drinking plenty of fluids and sucking on lozenges, and breathing humidified air.

Make an appointment with a doctor if hoarseness lasts for more than two weeks.
(I am currently beginning my second week … though it seems like two MONTHS!!!)

Home treatment can help with symptoms:

* Breathe moist air: Inhale steam from a bowl of hot water or a hot shower.
* Rest your voice as much as possible.
* Drink plenty of fluids to prevent dehydration (avoid alcohol and caffeine).
* Treat the underlying cause of laryngitis, such as heartburn, smoking or alcoholism.
* Suck lozenges, gargle salt water or chew a piece of gum — this won’t help your vocal cords, but can ease throat irritation.

And … more importantly … how to prevent it:

* Don’t smoke, and avoid secondhand smoke. Smoke dries your throat and irritates your vocal cords.
* Drink plenty of water. Fluids help keep the mucus in your throat thin and easy to clear.
* Avoid clearing your throat. This does more harm than good, because it causes an abnormal vibration of your vocal cords and can increase swelling. Clearing your throat also causes your throat to secrete more mucus and feel more irritated, making you want to clear your throat again.
* Avoid upper respiratory infections. Make sure to get your annual flu shot if your doctor recommends it. Wash your hands often and avoid contact with people who have upper respiratory infections such as colds.

Hey … perfect … Don’t get sick! Brilliant! Thanks Mayo Clinic!

Sheesh!

At least I have my fingers. God help me if my hands become broken. (Knocking on wood!)

No comments: